Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Summer Winds Down

The August Moon, the harvest moon, the moon that ushers in autumnal weather, the one that reminds us that summer is almost over and it's time to get off your butt and get on with all the projects you've been putting off.  WINTER IS COMING.  Ouch!

Nonetheless, it is one of the most beautiful, gentle months of the year.

Morning sun on the tall grass.

I finished the roof on my tractor shed.

This at least is ready for winter.

The neighborhood bakers stopped over for eggs to make scones.
A friend wanted to borrow some frames for his beehive, so I finally got around to inspecting and cleaning some old equipment I had stacked near my hive.  Shortly afterwards I inspected my hive and found that both of my honey supers were already full of honey, so I added a third super under the two full ones.

Despite being planted on July 12 our garden is producing potatoes, chard, carrots, beets, lettuce and zucchini.

My young ram, Einar, has grown into a big boy this summer.

So has his buddy, Arni.  It will be interesting to see if Einar can retain his alpha status this fall when the serious jousting begins.
A great blue heron landed near the pond one morning.

Once again we hosted the Kilpela Farm XC meet.
The award ceremony.

The coach's daughter awards first prize, the Golden Shoe to the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment