Friday, December 7, 2018

Game Cam

After I had butchered my sheep, I hauled the heads, hides, hoofs and guts out to the edge of the property and put up new game camera to see what would show up for dinner.  I was surprised to see this nice 4-pointer walking past.
This coyote made many trips.  Each time he hauled something off.


It goes against conventional wisdom to train your local coyotes to eat lamb,  but they have respected my electric fences and been good neighbors.  They have to eat too.

The ravens hauled off as much as they could as well.

Ravens are fascinating and very intelligent birds.  Years back I used to pick up deer scraps from a local processor to put out as bait so that I could watch them.  It doesn't take long for a gang of ravens to clean up a carcass.

Which is why this coyote worked so hard to haul off and cache all the hides, heads and hooves.  In a few days there was nothing left.

I then moved the camera to my deer bait pile.  I had built a blind nearby and was confident that I would bag my deer.

The crows and blue jays enjoyed the corn I scattered.

This guy showed up the evening before opening day.

These does showed up day and night, but never when I was in my blind.
   

A spikehorn.
I replenished the corn faithfully every day.
  
And the deer faithfully ate it.  We all did our part.


  
Often 4 at a time.

This guy only only came at night.

I literally got hundreds of pictures of deer.

But the sad truth is that I only actually saw deer while I was walking and they were running away.

No comments:

Post a Comment