Wednesday, September 20, 2017

My Self-Loading Sheep Shearing Table

This is the latest iteration of my shearing bench.   I rebuilt it several times and may modify it more in the future.  It is assembled with screws so it is easy to take apart if need be.

I later substituted inch-wide nylon belts for the footholds to make them easier to put on and take off the sheep.

Here's how it works.  First you stand it on end. 

Then you back up your sheep to the seat.  The seat has two extending wings so that the sheep's rear stays in line.


Then you tip the sheep onto the chair.


Then you tip the whole works over while holding on to the sheep with one hand.  I have a lawnchair like seat that I tip sheep into for trimming their hooves.  It occurred to me that I could incorporate the same idea into a shearing table.

Once the sheep is on its back you remove the seat. It slides out easily.


Next, slide the sheep forward...

..attach the front legholds...

and the rear legholds.

Then you stretch out the sheep.

Ready to shear.

I'm kind of a hack when it comes to shearing, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.  Notice my old shearing stand in the backround.  I've been trying to make shearing less of a rodeo event for awhile.

 
Marja gathered up the good wool as I was shearing and much of the short second cuts went on the ground.  A top shearer can clean a whole sheep with almost no second cuts, but I'm nowhere near that level.  Icelandic sheep have long wool and are tricky to shear.


Ideally the shears should ride right along the surface of the skin, but as you can see in this photo, there is a lot of cleanup work to be done.  With experience you develop a sense for the sheep's contours under all that wool and how each shearing stroke, called blows, is best angled.


It seemed like the sheep got calmer as I became more proficient.  I turn off the shears when they struggle and speak softly to them.  Eventually they resign themselves to fact they struggling is useless - they aren't going anywhere.

What you see on the ground is a lot of belly wool or dirty wool and short second cuts.



The bags are full of wool.



7 comments:

  1. Your blog was so nice and very attractive to see. Thank you so much for sharing these nice articles
    Heart Surgery Ranchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. No, but it is quite simple to build if you study the pictures.

      Delete
  3. Whoa! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a totally different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!
    sheep drench

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have drawn up plans for the table that someone could purchase?? I really need something like this! I have shetlands, and while they are small, they are skiddish, and being a short gal and not terribly strong, it’s not easy to wrestle these guys on shearing day lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I ask what the dimensions are. Looks like this would work well for us. Tried the old way it is way to hard on me back and I made a bloody mess of it. Thank you Andrew.

    ReplyDelete