Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Our Pond

The pond has never been this high in September.  It has been overflowing all summer long.

When I was a boy we used to catch painted turtles at a little pond we called Hokey's Dam.    It contained huge turtle called Tugboat that my friends claimed to have seen.  I never saw it myself but it was exciting to think that such a turtle existed.  It was our equivalent to the Loch Ness monster.

Having this pond dug is literally throwing money down a hole, but I have never regretted it.  We swim in in, fish in it and skate on it, and attracts all sort of birds - kingfishers, swallows, herons and eagles.

Silphium, a prairie plant that Aldo Leopold wrote of in his Sand County Almanac.  I planted some seeds some years ago and a few plants sprung up.  This year I enclosed this one with chicken wire so the sheep would not graze it.

I plan to harvest the seeds and plant more of these.  I'm not much for house plants, but wildflowers intrigue me.

The farmhouse looks happy wearing its new red coat.



No comments:

Post a Comment