Thursday, January 19, 2012

Feeding the Flock

Sheep prefer to eat their hay from the the ground, so I try to spread it around so that they don't fight over it. 

Gunnar likes it when I scratch behind his ears and sometimes wags his tail like a dog.  However, soon after this picture was taken, the rascal tried to but me as I was walking away.  I happened to turn around just as he was rushing me and he immediately veered off.  As long as he knows I'm looking at him, he's a very good boy.

We still have plenty of hay in the hayshed and I make sure the sheep have plenty when the weather gets cold.  There's an old Finnish proverb "Heikki heinia jakaa"  (which literally means "Heikki splits the hay" ) meaning that around Heikki's name day, the 19th of January on the Finnish calendar, your hay and winter stores will be about half gone.  It is really the midpoint of winter.  In our case I doubt that I've even used a third of the hay yet, and it's a good feeling to know that we have plenty on hand.

Sonja and Sigrid enjoying their hay while the shepherd looks on.  I've made it part of my everyday routine to go out and feed the sheep when I come home from work.  It's a relaxing thing to do and I take great pleasure in it. Sheep are really nice animals to be around, even if one would like to butt you.

After all, boys will be boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment