Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Last Log


The logging truck delivered 11 cords of wood. A cord is pile of wood 4 feet high, 4 feet wide and 8 feet long. It takes many, many evenings to saw them into firewood length. Fortunately my sons will do most of the splitting. My back was a pleasant surprise to me. Despite all the log lifting and block throwing, it never got seriously sore.


Husqvarna makes good chainsaws. Mine has always started after a few pulls on the cord. I've had saws that practically wore me out getting them started. There's enough work once the saw starts, so you appreciate one that starts reliably. I sharpened the chain after every two gas fills, although sometimes I had to sharpen it more often if there was sand on the logs.
It seems like it will never end, but eventually you reach the last log....

...and there are no more left to saw. Actually, I did save a few to rip into furniture lumber using an attachment called an alaskan chainsaw mill, but all the firewood has been sawn. Two years worth.


No comments:

Post a Comment